The Homestay Experience
Polar Trails is Winnipeg’s longest serving locally based homestay agency, supporting international students for over 15 years. We offer short and long-term homestay options, and all our host families are carefully screened and matched with students to provide the best supportive learning environment possible. We look forward to welcoming you to Winnipeg!
- a safe, clean and comfortable home
- a private bedroom and study area
- three healthy meals a day
- convenient bus service
- a learning environment
- access to laundry facilities and Wi-Fi
- regular monitoring by a Homestay Coordinator
- counseling and support while adjusting to Canadian culture
- a kind and caring family offering real and practical ESL instruction
Student support services
|Pick-up from the airport, bus depot or train station|
|Tour information, city tour and orientation|
|Ongoing student and counseling services|
|A complimentary homestay guide book|
|Two complimentary bus tickets|
|Students Under 18*|
|Students Over 18|
|PayPal or Credit Card||Add 3% processing fee|
|Bank Transfer||Add $25 processing fee|
* There is a one-time courier fee of $125 for sending custodianship documents for students under 18.
Prices are subject to change, confirmation is advised at time of payment. Use the quantity arrows on the PayPal page to pay for multiple months.
Applications & Fees
- 30 days advanced notice is requested for homestay.
- Placement fee & first four months homestay fees are payable at time of application (placement fee is non-refundable).
- All homestay fees are payable to Polar Trails Inc. only, not the homestay family or the school.
- Homestay fees are due one month prior to the monthly anniversary arrival date.
- One month notice must be given when a student decides to leave their homestay.
- Homestay students enrolled in classes for four or more months are strongly encouraged to stay in homestay for the first four months.
- If students choose to leave the homestay program prior to the end of their first four months there will be no refunds granted.
Homestay Terms & Conditions
- Homestay information will be forwarded as soon as placement is determined.
- Family information is confidential and must not be provided to other parties without the consent of Polar Trails Inc.
- Homestay guests must provide proof of medical insurance coverage prior to homestay placement.
- Students must be enrolled and actively attending full time classes.
- Students are not permitted to drive, own or operate an automobile while staying in homestay.
- Students must provide copies of their student visa, passport and LOA (letter of acceptance) prior to arrival or when available.
- If students decide to travel during their time in homestay there will be no reduction in homestay fees for travel periods less than one month.
- Custodianship students under 18 years of age are required to remain in the homestay program and are not permitted to live elsewhere until after their 18th birthday.
- Failure to comply with any of the above may result in removal from the homestay program and students being sent back home.
- We do not accept student arrivals on December 24 or 25.